17 April 2017

Book Recommendation - 'In Therapy' by Susie Orbach

I have always felt sharing what book one reads to be wildly intimate. 
I came across Susie's book 'In Therapy' while browsing Tate Britain having time to 'kill' before an business meeting. After seeing the art, I naturally walked into the bookstore.
It did not strike me at first. I browsed through the objects, toys, books and stalled at the 'new' books table. Susie's book was the one I picked up and read its back cover. Yet I did not buy it.
Now fast forward, and after a fateful painful personal event which led me to frequent Chelsea Hospital for 6 weeks, I ended up one cheery sunny lunchtime in Waterstones on the Kings Road.
The impossible happened: I did not remember the title nor the author's name but recalled vividly the colours of the cover and its overall topic. A lovely shop assistant chose to help me search - ignoring the lingering queue and started a quest which lasted 15mins leading nowhere. I gave up. Then she said, let me go downstairs into our self-help section and see if I can find something that looks like you just described. By this time I had described or imagined describing one of many options of a book and had no hope that the book that had stayed in my memory could be united with me.
The assistant disappeared for the longest time and then eventually returned showing me Susie's book and stated simply, 'this may not look like the book you described but it caught my eye.'
I did not recognise the book, nor seemed the title or the author's name to ring a bell in my memory.
I bought it because I admired the shop assistant's quest for her helping me.
Only when I started reading the book a few days ago - a lot longer after I purchased it!- did I realise that it was the book I had seen at Tate Britain.

Dear reader, you must wonder why I am taking time to begin with this lengthy intro. I firmly believe everything happens for a reason. And the book written by Susie, ex-Diana therapist, was meant to be read by me. Susie takes the reader into her conversations with clients and depicts a few stories.
All wildly different to me and yet all had everything to do with me.
As you will find yourself too, dear reader.
Excellent book!






























No comments: