28 May 2017

'A Stranger in My House' - US Vogue - Without Breast


Tom Wesselmann Blue Nude, 2000


Nadja Auermann, Marie Claire Germany by Peter Lindbergh, 1997

"The night before my mastectomy, I stood naked in front of the bathroom mirror and held my right breast in my hand, like an old friend in need of comfort. Goodbye, I told it....I had so much to be grateful for, but, of course, I only realized all that on the cusp of its loss....

Rebecca Johnson's piece, 'A Stranger in My House' in US Vogue's June 2017 issue struck a chord with me. Not because I have lost a breast. Because her account is an honest reflection of going through fear, trauma, potential death and emerging grateful.

"We don't do a great job of preparing women for life without a breast...If a woman loses her breast, she carries her scar in secret and rarely talks about it out loud...but I felt like less of a human because I had lost something I cared deeply about...I was grossed out by the sensation of being touched (by my husband) but unable to feel...but now , almost two years after the surgery, I have come to a reluctant truce with my breast. Our bodies are maps of our lives."



No comments: