06 May 2013

Topshop's Richard Nicoll Mishap (posted on 04/06/2012)



I love designer collaborations with high street stores. 
Usually, that is. 
I loved Marni for H&M and nearly bought the whole bunch when it went on sale in the UK and, admittedly, the items are complete showstoppers. Every time I wear the white leather and black sleeves top, people not only stop and stare but they stop me too and ask WHERE it is from. 
Not everyone is in fashion clearly. 
To the newest collaboration: Topshop and Richard Nicoll, whom I have liked and disliked at the same time. 
I have selected the above look to demonstrate what not to do in order to succeed.
The look is taken from the upcoming wedding looks the high street giant wants present to the public.
But first of all, lesson 1 in all areas of life: know your audience.
From what I have seen, Topshop is a store for girls aged 13-18+ and anyone else beyond that age who fits their minuscule cuts.
So now to this "wedding" collection. The only possible reason to introduce such a thing is to try to lure customers that normally would not shop there. To go for a wedding collection is just as outrageous as most of their looks are. So I guess the thought counts.
Now to the actual dress above: I wish I had solely seen the dress from the front and top. Because those two views highlight the only positive things here. The sheer fabric that flows out of the main short dress seems not only cheap but also badly made as it has too many visible seams. I particularly hate the shorter sheer fabric as it does not seem to belong, nor enhance anything in particular and thus only looks misplaced.
The back straps incorporated to hold up the front of the bustier look cheap too.
What I do love though are the white high heels.
Everything else seen as a whole is not worth spending money on for such an important day.

No comments: